As Attorney General, Jeff Sessions will not be prosecuting hate crimes against queer people, he will not be enforcing the voting rights act, civil rights violations, or equal pay. He will have the highest level of prosecutorial discretion — deciding what to ignore and what to enforce. PLEASE keep calling your Senators and Congress members to tell them to BLOCK the appointment of Sessions. Sessions’ track record tells us clearly what his reign as Attorney General will look like:
* Voted against the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act, which expanded hate crime
legislation to include crimes motivated by a victim’s actual or perceived gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability.
* Voted against the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act of 2009,
* Voted against the 2013 reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act.
* Called an African-American Assistant U.S. attorney “boy.”
* Said he approved of the Ku Klux Klan until he learned its members smoked marijuana.
* Prosecuted Albert Turner—a former field secretary for Martin Luther King’s Southern Christian Leadership Conference—for registering Black voters, alleging voter fraud, 29 counts of mail fraud, altering absentee ballots, and conspiracy to vote more than once. A jury found the defendants not guilty of all counts.
* Called the NAACP and the ACLU “un-American” and “communist-inspired” groups that “forced civil rights down the throats of people.”
via Facebook http://ift.tt/2gemACG